Monday - Friday
8:30AM to 7PM EST
8:30AM to 7PM EST
NEED HELP? Chat with us
How To Decorate With Throw Pillows
Decorating with throw pillows is an easy way to change any room in your home. If you are on a budget or have limited funds, throw pillows are an inexpensive option. Here are a few design tips that can help you change the look of your space.
- There are several ways to give your home a modern look using throw pillows. First, use an odd number of pillows varying in size. This will create a look that is put together without being overly matchy. To produce a space that is full, but not crowded, use a few large pillows instead of several small ones.
- When deciding what shape your throw pillows should be, consider whether your fabric is a solid color or a pattern. Squares are a good choice if your fabric is a mixture of both. In addition, try using unusual shapes, such as oblongs, to give your room a creative touch.
- For a modern environment, choose a limited color scheme with prints featuring large geometric shapes. Feature your color choices on tightly woven cotton or linen fabrics to complete the look. If you prefer to use several colors in your pallet, be sure to pull the colors from a major decorative piece within the room.
- For your trim, use a color that emulates your pillow's primary hue to create an interesting look while still maintaining a solid block of color.
- For a traditional look using throw pillows, place two or four pillows on either side of your sofa to create a coordinated appearance.
- To decide the right size throw pillows, consider how large your sofa is. You can create even proportions by matching small circular pillows with larger square pillows.
- Velvet and silk are standard fabrics for creating a traditional setting. In addition, you can layer several textures and patterns to create a colorful design. To assist prints in harmonizing, pair a loud design with a simple one. A pattern and a solid will also work well together.
- In regards to trim, match the size of the trim with the size of the pillow. For instance, use tassel fringe on larger pillows and braiding or cording on smaller throw pillows.
- To style your home with a more eclectic look using throw pillows, use an odd number of pillows to create a look that is asymmetrically pleasing to the eye. For a true eclectic tone, place your cushions casually without putting a lot of thought into coordination.
- Choosing throw pillows that are similar in size soften the diversity of your color palette. Overall, a few large pillows have a more appealing look than several small ones.
- Choose pillows that are diverse but have at least one element in common. It can be a single color, a similar pattern or related texture. You should be open to new ideas, but not to simply using anything.
- Because your look is already so busy, avoid using excessive trims. Instead, try a corded edge or a braid.
Browse Our Wide Selection of Throw Pillows